So I thought it would be a really super-awesome idea to throw a few extra vegetables into the spaghetti I made last night. What in the world comes over a mother's brain sometimes? Spaghetti is one of the few meals where not a single kid complains. It is a meal where when I say, "We're having spaghetti for dinner," every kid cries, "Yea! Spaghetti." It is a meal that brings joy, happiness and world peace to our home. What was I thinking?
At the beginning I was thinking I was going to be Super Vegetable Mom. Dun da dun! "Wow, did you see that Super Vegetable Mom. She's...she's...she's just plain super!" But then reality hit me as I put the veggies in the sauce. I thought, "Jessica, what are you doing?" "Jessica this isn't worth it." "Jessica, Captain Kindergarten will die a thousand deaths when he spies that green in the red." "Super Vegetable Mom you are destined to lose in a flaming ball of tomato sauce." But it was too late.
This is Sidekick Sister's bib full of discarded peppers. Oh the attrition. I had to get a picture because I couldn't believe how much those peppers looked like they'd been through a hard-fought battle. The scene looked like it could have been straight out of a Veggie Tales movie called War and Peas (I just came up with that and I feel real proud just so you know).
Only one pepper stands but it looks like the softest breeze would send it to it's back...bonk. Do you see that pepper in the back begging on its knees for mercy? And the other three peppers- shriveled, twisted, maimed...plunk...goners.
But peppers your sacrifice was not for naught. The kids, they thought they beat us in the vegetable battle. They thought they annihilated the enemy. They combed through that spaghetti so carefully. But what they didn't know was how small I cut up the mushrooms. They didn't know that tiny, diced mushrooms in spaghetti sauce turn red and can easily be confused for bits of hamburger.
Ha, Ha, Ha. They ate those mushrooms up. Every last one of them. Ha Ha Ha. Maybe I am Super Vegetable Mom after all.
2 comments:
That's so awesome! I love being sneaky like that, too! And, that "war and peas" line was pure genius!
Oh the battles of food I have fought! With my spaghetti sauce I am super tricky. I cook it and then I blend it so they have no idea what is in it. Now they know but they don't care. However, they will not let me not blend the sauce. They don't want to actually see what veges they are eating! Ha Ha! And like Megan says the "war and peas" line is pure genius!
Post a Comment