So I had to speak in church a little over a year ago. The topic they gave me was overcoming spiritual temptation. Not wanting to divulge my deepest and darkest temptations to the new ward we'd just become a part of (awkward), I thought it best to make my talk personal by using a metaphor. I chose my favorite one (ask my little sister - she used to get this one all the time). I likened overcoming temptation and having eternal life with my overcoming the desire to be an uncommitted, fair-weather runner and therefore getting my best time ever in a marathon.
So that day after church from the comments I received I pretty much deduced that instead of giving a talk on overcoming temptation by talking about running, I'd given a talk on running by talking about overcoming spiritual temptation.
Tonight I gave the baptism talk for a whole family that was being baptized. This time I likened their baptism to the births I'd seen as a labor and delivery nurse. Or did I liken the births I'd seen as a labor and delivery nurse to baptism?
Ahhhhhhhhh, that metaphor, that sneaky, sly, wily old metaphor.
No comments:
Post a Comment