Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Card Shark

A couple of nights ago I blogged before I talked to my husband on the phone.  And I couldn't think what to say.   All the funny things that had happened that day were slipping, like a toddler in sacrament meeting, right out of my hands.  I remembered that Sidekick Sister had asked me why some word had "Ho" in it and that I had laughed.  But for the life of me I couldn't think of a word that started with Ho.  And the Little Linebacker had said something funny about the Ho word right after.  But it was gone - gone like a piece of chocolate within the Little Linebacker's reach.  Speaking of which - does anybody else out there have a child as stealthy as my Little Linebacker?  He sneaks things into the grocery cart EVERY time we go to the store.  And its not like its candy and cookies.  This last time it was a big bottle of Elmer's glue.  One time it was a huge box of double-A batteries.  He's got a career in ninja-ry waiting for him.

Anyhow - before I talked to my husband on the phone the other day I could think of no funny things from the day so I just blogged about the pol-i-ticks.  And I was like ho-hum dee dum.

Then the husband called which is when I really try to put on the side show.  I'll ham all I have to to get a laugh.  And I found myself telling him about how Sidekick Sister and I had been playing Candyland that day.  On our first round she pulled the Princess Frostine card on her third draw.  Princess Frostine is all the heck the way at nearly the end of the board.  So she won the game like three card draws later while I plunked along one color at a time without even getting to Jolly the Gumdrop.  On the second round she got the Princess Frostine card on her fifth draw.  I picked the card for the gingerbread guy and was way excited until I saw he was about 8 spaces past the start on the board and already in my rearview.  Sidekick Sister beat me again.  I told my husband I was pretty sure Sidekick Sister was holding the Princess Frostine card up her sleeve.

And he laughed.

And I laughed.

And I thought, "Rats, I wished I would have blogged about that today instead of the poli-yawn-ticks."  When Sidekick Sister is 27 and wading through my blog, that funny, cumbersome, old-fashioned way of recording life, I know she would love to discover that her Mom suspected she was a card shark at 3.

Live and learn, live and learn.

But anyway, Romney, Iowa, New Hampshire...South Carolina??

5 comments:

gretchen said...

Here's a terrible thing to admit: I'm usually excited when my kids get Princess Frostine because it means a quicker game of Candyland! I'll sit down and make crafts/bake cookies/play outside/read with my kids all day long, but the board games kill me.

You have lots of funny stories!

JessicaP said...

The board game does come with its pins and also its needles.

Marc and Megan said...

Cute Candyland story! I guess my boys aren't old enough to sneak things into the grocery cart (or maybe it's that I avoid taking them to the grocery store when at all possible), but, Marc definitely makes up for it. The last time we went to the store together, there was more than once that the cashier rung up an item that I almost grabbed and said, "oh, that's not ours... not sure how it got in our cart"... only to stop myself in time to remember who I brought with me to the store. :)

And, I love your posts about politics!

JessicaP said...

Ha! Megan, I love that about Marc. It's funny, Little Linebacker is my only kid that's ever really snuck things in. I wonder if Marc was a sneaker when he was 2 and if Bri will be a sneaker when he's in his 30's (:

Marc and Megan said...

LOL! Yeah, I'm sure Marc had his beginnings long ago... I wish Bri all my best! If nothing else he'll keep life interesting and humorous for the lucky girl he ends up with, to that I can attest. :)