Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Donut

Someone in my growing up years used to say, "Keep your eye upon the donut and not upon the hole."

I found out that Sidekick Sister's hip ain't no good, non-repairable.  This means the 6 week hip surgery is out and the 6 month lengthening process is up to bat.  That means three months in Baltimore.  That means three months of separation from spouse-who's-been-gone-on-business-for-a-bit.  That means pretty soon I've gotta face the music and see my baby girl in pain and discomfort.  "Ouch" goes my heart.  Holes, holes, holes.

But spouse-who-should-maybe-buy-a-plane can probably take some time off to get us through the first couple of weeks.  And then he can fly out on the weekends and spend them hugging his baby girl who has him wrapped around her pinky and who calls for him whenever she thinks something on her body might hurt.  And we can get this process started.  We can face the unknown and start to get to know it and get our confidence up that we can do this thing.  And my brother and his family are living in the Baltimorish area right now, but just for a little bit longer.  So we'll get a chance to spend some time with their family who I love and admire and love...and admire.  I'm excited about that.  Donut!  Donut!  Donut! 

And we are blessed to be able to have our insurance cover us seeing this doctor.  We are blessed to be able to lengthen Side-kick Sister's leg without having to amputate.  We are blessed with a supportive family.  We are blessed in a belief that God cares about us and will help us through whatever holes in our donuts might arise.

Onward and upward folks.  Onward and upward.

4 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

Aw, Jess, my heart aches for your motherly aching heart. I do not envy the holes ahead, but I'll be praying for an avalanche of donuts to come flowing down. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers!

gretchen said...

You are an amazing mom. Keep thinking upon the donut and not upon the hole. You can do this and Sidekick Sister can do this. One day she'll probably tell her kids that they can do hard things too. (And she'll probably tell them to focus on the donut and that life is like a cross-country race). And all of us will be supporting you and praying for you.

emily said...

Oh Jess, bless all of your hearts and bravery. Know I'm thinking about you and will keep y'all in my prayers. Love ya.

JessicaP said...

Thanks for the support. I love you all!