I didn't manage to get to the treadmill until 4:30 yesterday afternoon. While I ran I tended my three older kids with Nanny Netflix, but baby girl couldn't get a good view of the computer through her three ample-headed siblings, so for the first time ever she came into my room with me while I ran. I sat her up in the middle of my bed and gave her a toy and a blanket to occupy herself with. She bounced on her bottom on the mattress all eager for our time together.
Then I stepped onto the treadmill and she looked a little concerned about the distance separating us. But I gave her a smile and that set her to bouncing again. Then I pushed the start button that said, "Beep!" and her eyes got wider. I started walking as the belt got moving and she looked curious. Then I started running and she looked at me like, "What in thee world."
And I said, "I know. I know, baby girl."
Like all us humans, after a while she got accustomed to the absolute and certain weirdness of seeing a person run in place on purpose, and she fell asleep to the rhythmic clomp, clomp, clomp of my good and heavy feet. Isn't it just amazing how adaptable we are?
I like to think of myself as particularly special in the adaptability department. Say I'm out of baking soda - well, I'll adapt to the situation and use baking powder. Say I wreck my car, I'll adapt and ride through rain, sleet, and snow on my bike, broken arm be darned. Say I'm stuck in a foreign country without money, I'll adapt and starve myself and sleep in bathrooms perfectly content until I get home.
See, we humans are built for moving forward. We're just kind of cool like that.
No comments:
Post a Comment