Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Foggy Goggles

So how's 'bout we toddle off on a little stroll together tonight.  The weather is looking fine on ol' Memory Lane and I have a wee hankering to see the place.

When I was 25, single, and luckless in love (don't worry, that part has a happy ending), I used to spend a lot of time at my married sister's house (may her husband be blessed for a thousand years).  She had a new baby and I loved every inch of him (still do) to the point that I made the mistake of calling his mother his Aunt Gretchen.  He was just so mine.  Shortly after that my sister issued a restraining order against me.  The end. 

Okay, she didn't.

Instead, when my sister was feeling especially kind, she let me babysit that baby boy for a whole few hours at a time.  I played toys with him, chased him, and laughed with him.  Then while I wasn't looking he hid my dying cell phone or my keys in the deepest recesses of the couch.  We were just MFEO if you know what I mean. 

Except for this small issue we had with eating.

I would put him in his high chair, mix up the rice cereal with a little warm water, and come at him with his bib.  After a small altercation the bib would be on and I'd get me a spoonful of bland perched in front of his lips.  But before the blah was in, the bib would be off.  Down went the spoon.  On went the bib.  Up went the spoon.  Back down with the bib.  Up.  Down.  Spoon perched.  Spoon parked.

"I will win!"  My spirit cried.

"No you won't."  His will rejoined.

I'm not sure who won which Battles of the Bib but I for sure know I lost the war.

I have had three one year olds of my own now and I'm coming up on a fourth.  It's been a long time coming.  But this baby.  Do you see that white flag waving?  She will, barring red or orange food, go bibbless when she would like.

I'm starting to see...although I'm having to rub the foggy goggles of perception pretty hard...I'm starting to see that winning might not be the appropriate goal when you're a Mom.

Here is the cutey-pants that might, maybe, if she's lucky benefit from my self-reflection.



Sidekick Sis saw the camera come out and thought she might get herself a photo op.



I love you my crazy kids,


Sincerely, Your Crazier Mom.


3 comments:

gretchen said...

Oh this had me laughing!! I remember the battle of the bib often. Miles sure loves his aunt (that's you). Maybe the phone and key hiding were punishment for the bib? Any time we tell him about how he used to do that to you he laughs and laughs! :) Kids are so entertaining, even when they have strong wills. Yours are some of the cutest in the world! Love the pictures.

Irene said...

Yes they are some of the 12 cutest in the world. I know Miles thought you were his sister.

JessicaP said...

If I could I'd live next door to all 8 of the the other twelve cutest children in the world.