Thursday, December 15, 2011

Feeling Good

When I checked the bank account the other day, I saw that the ol' Spouse of My Heart had made a significant purchase from a running clothes company whose website he'd asked me to peruse in my spare time.  Ha Ha.  Spare time - I love that joke.  Gets me every time. 

Eventually, he asked me to just give him my size.  After much deliberation I took a stab at a size and figured if I wasn't that size now, my history showed that I'd at least pass through that size a time or two in the next couple of years.

I told him on the phone that I saw a transaction with the company had gone through and I suspected his present was on its way to me.

"You can't open it until Christmas," he sternly told me from more than a couple of miles away where he could never, ever, ever really know what I had or hadn't done.

"Really?"  I said.

"Well, only open it if you need to."

"Oh, okay," I replied, meaning with all my heart to be good.

Then it came, the box that had my new winter running clothes inside.  I was tingle-fingered to open it, but the better part of me slapped my hand, took the package away and hid it from me in my closet.  I really think the box would have stayed there until the 25th if it weren't for a December miracle that happened today.  Today, for the second day in a row, I got to run outside.  Miracle!!!  Miracles should be celebrated.  And my one pair of running pants was sweaty and stinky from the day before anyway.



I was in love the second I opened the box.  Remember how I'm not a clothes person?  Maybe I am a tiny, little bit of a clothes person when it comes to cute running clothes.  I went running down the street today feeling like I was as fast as I was good looking.  I felt like a real professional and I imagined the two or three folks that saw me when they drove by probably thought, "Ohhh, wow.  Look at the girl run.  She looks cute.  She looks fast.  I'll bet she's a real professional.  I wonder if I should get her autograph."  I love to swim in delusions, especially when I'm running - makes for a great duathlon.

When I got back to my neighbor's who was watching my kids for me I embarrassedly asked her to take a picture of me in my clothes to send off  to He Who Knows Me Best.  Then I wrangled up the kids and went home.  Once things were all settled I opened up the picture my neighbor had taken so I could send it off to Super Spouse. 

And there she was.  The real truth.  And the truth was I looked like a short little girl who stole her big sister's running clothes out of her closet with a little exclamation point at my belly that poochedly proclaimed, "I've had four babies!"  I laughed.  I erased the picture.

I was still in my running clothes.  I looked in the mirror.  The pants and shirt were a little long.  My belly did push out ever so slightly over the top of my pants like it just wanted to get a better view.  But I looked good.  I looked fast.  I looked like a real professional.  That's what I decided.  And I feel real good about that.
Thanks Best Friend.

2 comments:

gretchen said...

VERY cute running clothes!!! I may have to put in a word to Santa.

JessicaP said...

New Balance!!