My mother-in-law and some of my sister-in-law's keep what's called a five-year journal. It's a book with five spaces per calendar day so that every year you can write just a little bit in a space underneath what you wrote on that day the year before. So you might have on December 21, 2007 Ate oatmeal for breakfast, gross. Then underneath that on Dec. 21, 2008 Saw a bird fly over the fence, thought it was pretty. Then below that on Dec. 21, 2009 Why do I keep thinking I'm going to be able to make myself like oatmeal? Made some today, only liked the first two bites. And below that again on Dec. 21, 2010 - So glad to be on the other side of the short days - will see more birds soon. And on the bottom, Dec. 21, 2011 - Ahh, Christmas is coming. No time for birds or oatmeal. Have lots of shopping to do today.
It is so, so, so, so cool. Simple but telling. Ha, there's a lesson for me.
So tonight as I sit here so doggone tired and full of nothing in my brain but a burned out buzz, I can't help but prod my own self in the backside and write something. I've gotta write something so I can look back on me in one year and two years and three years and on and on. Even if oatmeal and birds don't rock the universe.
So today CPT Kindergarten rejected my Japanese Curry - UNTIL - I strongly encouraged (Mario Brothers TV show) him to take a bite. He asked for seconds. Isn't that so like life.
I feel better now.
*Their five year journals are a purchased thing - like they're made by companies- and I bet one could be found if anyone is intrigued by the idea.
3 comments:
I first heard about these journals a couple of years ago on someone's blog. So I looked it up on Amazon and they were $35 and I was too cheap to bite. But, I looked again a few weeks ago and found one for $13, so I got three. :) And, now the plan is to fill one up for each of my kiddos and give them to them when they're older... hopefully I can follow through and give them each a nice full book without any blank entries!
Where did you get them? That sounds like a good idea.
Jess - I found them on Amazon. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/One-Line-Day-Five-Year-Memory/dp/0811870197/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1324582002&sr=8-4
And, it looks like the price has even gone down more! :)
Post a Comment