Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Obsession

I am drumming my fingernails.

You see I'm a bit of an obsessive personality, especially when it comes to completing things. When I decide to do something, it usually borders on getting overdone. I like to run. So I have to run marathons and never miss a day's training. I like to write. So I have to write a million paged book that only family members will ever read. I start a blog, so I have to write every day without ever missing even though only 3 people are reading it. I want to teach my son to read. So I make him suddenly love Sundays because that is the only day he gets off from his lessons. It can be truly terrible. But it is who I am. And that is why I'm drumming my fingernails.

Right now, I can't run. I'm too tired to come up with blogging ideas or outline my next idea for a story. Today I went out to weed my garden and was too achy when I'd only gotten half-way done. Only doing stuff half-way drives me nuts. I chase my kids for five steps and stop. I'm a sitting predator. I can't keep my little girl on my lap through all of church. My dishes are being allowed to pile in my sink. And in the middle of the day I can't stay awake. My obsessiveness is not being fulfilled. I need to be done with this pregnancy!! It's making me drum my fingernails.

Oh, sorry. You're not my husband are you? Oops, nope, not at all. You see he's out of town. Usually he'd get this barrage of complaints and I'd just smile and tell everyone else I was doing pretty well. Don't worry, I'll give you a break in not too long. He'll be home soon and you can relax and feel sorry for him.

P.S. - I promise tomorrow's blog won't be about me being big and pregnant and silly. Well, maybe it will. I'm kind of obsessed with it right now...

7 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

I just realized why our friendship was so immediate and strong... how did I never connect our shared obsessiveness?! Seriously, though, do you know how much I look forward to ending my nights with your blog posts? (Not to feed your obsessiveness even more... haha!) I'm so happy your baby is coming soon... oh, and Dan, too! :)

Irene said...

I wish I was there to help you! I hope Dan will be able to have some time at home to give you a break.

v said...

JessicaP

Oh, my. You suffer from the same disease as I. Being cursed with obsessiveits can be bad but it can be good, or so I tell myself.

I've decided, whether true or not, that we obsessive people are the ones that get things done because we can't rest until they are done. And, we'll do it perfectly because we'll obsess over every little detail until it's perfect.

Even now, I'm obsessing over just the right words to use to convey that all of this is said tongue in cheek. Grrr!

emily said...

Dear Jess,

For the record, I love hearing about everything you have to say. In such a funny, real way you are able to convey what so many feel but cannot. Its a pure delight. Not to mention reading your long awaited blog has been so wonderfully like having a conversation with you everyday without even having to call and interrupt your life. Practically perfect.

Love your guts,

em

gretchen said...

I like the part about big, pregnant and silly...and a sitting predator! You don't even have to obsess about being funny, it comes naturally to you! :) Be glad you like to finish things. I'm often pretty content with things being, "good enough," only to find myself with 3 million weeds in my yard.

JessicaP said...

Thanks all. Megan - I really think we obsessives can smell each other out even when we don't know it. Mom - if Dan just puts the kids to bed at night and then hangs out with me for an hour or two, I'll consider it an awesome break. Me - oh that made me smile - leaving a comment is very, very hard for an obsessive (:. Gretchen - you are nice and, minus the big baby in my belly and the thousand plus miles between us, I'd totally love to go to town on your 3 million weeds.

JessicaP said...

And Em! Call me. Interrupt my life! I need to know how you are doing! love!!