Thank you.
That's what I'd say to my nephew today if I could. Two days before Thanksgiving last year my Mom called to tell me that Jake had passed away from an infection that was a complication to the heart transplant he'd had three months before.
Still, I'd like to tell him thank you.
Thank you for fighting to get your transplant heart so that you could share two beautiful months of vigor and good memories with your family. You let me see how important it is to love your family and bring them joy with whatever strength you have while you are present.
Thank you for learning to walk and to speak during the time that you were healthy. I found out that I wasn't born to get to a prescribed finish line, but simply to enjoy progressing.
Thank you for being gentle and meek, and revealing the power of those virtues.
Thank you for coming here and allowing your parents to teach all of us as they cherished you to accept the gifts that God has given us with gratitude despite any sacrifice or pain that might be wrapped up in them.
Thank you for showing me that no life is so short that it can't be searingly meaningful.
Thanks Jake.
P.S. I'm also thankful today for the Children's Hospital of Philidelphia who helped Jake and my brother's family through his life and his passing. If you're thankful for your children today, or your health, or your children's health, and you want to do something to express that, you can go to the CHOP website and donate $5 or so in Jake's name or find a project (look at the menu on the left side for making surgical hats or therapy dolls) you and your family can do through the holidays to send for the children and families that are at CHOP right now. Or maybe you will want to commit to a donation or project for an organization that is special to you and your family and friends. Whatever you decide, leave a comment if you donate or begin a project today and I'll donate $5 to Jake for every comment I get.
Thank you. I love you too you know.
4 comments:
This was wonderful! We will add our thanks with yours. Thanks Jake!
The Oliver's
Thank you Jessica! You brought tears to my eyes (the good ones of course) as I remember what an amazing child Jake was and still is. Thank you for sharing his story in such a beautiful way and for keeping his memory alive. You're the best! --Kim
So perfectly written, and this really captures the gratitude I feel for everything Jake taught us.
Yes thanks Jessica and thanks CHOP and thanks Jake for the love and joy you brought us all.
Post a Comment