Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Greased Pig

Life is a greased pig that I feel like I should catch.  Or maybe life is a bar of soap on the bottom of a swimming pool I feel impelled to get to the surface.  Or life is a two year old who needs his shoes on if I want to go outside.  I get so close, and then...dang...but I can't help but want to try again.

On Saturday I told my husband how my day went and he said, "You're a good Mom."  Ninety-nine out of a hundred times that he'll try to say that I'll reject it.  But on Saturday I had kept my cool under duress.  I'd loved my kids just right and felt pretty darn good about it.  So I said, "Yep, today I am."  And I started to believe a leaf had been turned.  Maybe I could be a beatified Mom.

Then it was Sunday and we all woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  My oldest had been to time-out three times before we even left for church.  Three hours of church stretched into four when we stayed for a baptism I had brought refreshments for.  I spent a lot of time the fourth hour begging, cajoling, and commanding all small bodies to shush.  I was tired, my brain was done and my oldest was in the same sailing vessel.  It wasn't a good mix for a peaceful Sunday evening.  I went to bed at 8 p.m. ready to throw in my mothering towel.

Then today came.  We were all hugs and laughing and family home eveninging.  The kids are still up and giggling.  I got them to bed fifteen minutes early so I can give them a little leeway on being wild. 

I've just about got that pig.  The soap's coming up.  The shoes are almost on.  I pretty much know what to expect for tomorrow.

No comments: