Friday, November 11, 2011

I'm a Believer

Since my husband, who usually watches the kids while I run, is out of town, my treadmill and I have been spending more time together than we usually do.  And I have to say I love her - in an "I love my third string quarterback when my first and second string QB's have made the injured reserve list" kind of way.  Although I am over-the-moon-with-the-spoon grateful that I can keep running in the temporary single-mom seasons of my life, I have to say the treadmill is more an exercise in withstanding mental torture than in developing physical prowess for me.  Without netflix and the documentary, I'm afraid I would lose the mental battle every time I set foot on the beast.

Which brings me to this morning's documentary.  It was about King David.  It took four and a half miles to get zeroed in on him though, and I only ran five miles.  So don't ask me any too much about what the producers had to say about him.  But I will tell you what rumbled around in my brain in a new way that one of the historians/professionals/people-who-speak-authoritatively-so-you-believe-them said in the thorough warm-up to David.  He said that the Jews really had no reason to survive as a nation.  They were a relatively small group amid much larger and more powerful entities.  Their might was pitiable.  But, when they were taken out of Israel to Babylon, their most intelligent people wrote down their stories to teach them why God had allowed them to be taken captive and to motivate them to return to Jerusalem.  These stories were written in a way that, for the first time this man claimed, put compelling universal human experience on parchment.  And it was with this collection of stories, not with swords or technological inventions, that the Jews not only outlasted the civilizations around them, but became one of the most influential civilizations in the world.

Writing.  Ha-cha!  Take that!  Hee-ya!  It's powerful.  I'm a believer.

1 comment:

Irene said...

So keep on writing.