Why Today was My Favorite:
I got to go on a 14 mile run with my husband. I finally got organized enough to call a babysitter last night and she said yes to being at our house at 6:30am - may she live a long and happy life. I tried to run 14 miles two weeks ago and ended up calling it after the first twelve. My bowels were a-swirlin' and I was too scared of snakes to sneak off into the corn. Besides I didn't know if it was sweet corn or cattle corn. A girl has to respect the sweet corn. So this morning I had me a bit of the long-run jitters. But today's workout date was the best 14 miles I've ever gone with my Adidas on. Three cheers for a two-hour, uninterrupted conversation with the boy who makes me laugh the hardest, happy intestines, silver silos and cool, fall breezes.
I saw lots of prickles of new green grass hanging out in our backyard. Watering grass is usually at the bottom of my I-love-it list. But today I kind of liked watering because I was getting results that made me feel like a bona fide landscape artist.
My oldest boy got his shovel and I got my shovel and we dug out a shrub together. There is something about working outside with your own enthusiastic child that puts a shine on the world.
One of my neighbors came by spontaneously because her little boy was dying to play with somebody. It made me feel special that she chose our house. And then another neighbor saw us and came by with her little boy too. All the kids scooted on bikes and played and giggled while we chatted in the driveway 'til dinnertime. I felt downright social. That doesn't happen everyday and I have to admit, I kinda liked it.
I listened to General Conference and heard a story I liked about a man in an elevator in the Church office building who was feeling overwhelmed by work and responsibility. The elevator stopped and opened as he was on his way down and someone got on. The man did not bring his eyes up from the ground. He heard a voice say, "What are you looking at?" He looked up to see the prophet sharing the elevator with him and said, "Oh, nothing." And the prophet said, "It is so much better to look up then to look down." That worked for me. I'm glad I can look up - I know I would trip over my feet if I didn't.
My three non-infant children went to bed real easy and nice for me tonight while their Dad was gone. This left me lots of time for lots of vanilla ice cream.
Days like this, they're rad.
3 comments:
Glad you had a nice day Jessica. Little things make life great, we just have to look up to see them I guess.
Thanks Mom. And Amen.
Sounds like a wonderful day! I wish my kids could have been riding bikes with yours. Good job on the 14 miles!
Post a Comment