Sunday, March 11, 2012

The City

I thought I'd take a quick second to check in.  We are now in Maryland all tucked cozy into my brother's family's house.  We got ourselves an apartment reserved in the Inner Harbor of Baltimore all decked out in furniture from the 80's, right down to the T.V.s.  My lap-top computer is going to feel like an anachronism.  I haven't lived in the middle of a big city since I was in London for a few months during college.  I'm kind of excited about getting some city buzz just for a little bit.

But I don't want too much buzz, I'll tell you what.  Last night we met some friends at a local mall to have dinner and watch a show.  We got to the mall and it's Pangaea-sized parking lot easy enough, but every doggone spot of the monstrosity was taken.  There were sharks trolling every lane biting each other's tales in voracious parking-space hunger.  It got all of those sink-or-swim, preserve your line symptoms bubbling through my body.  My eyes got sharp, my neck was tense in readiness to turn, the "Mine!" of my heart burned.  I don't like those feelings.  I totally associate those feelings with the big city.  Now, a good person could argue that to get rid of those feelings I could work on being more kind, patient and most importantly RELAXED.  But sometimes it is just so much easier to not be in a big city than to be good.

But honestly, yeah, I'm ready to revel in the newness of businesses and people and culture and cement all around me.  We'll see how the Sidekick of a Sister does with this surgery and recovery business and maybe make a go of being citified.

Let the adventure begin.

3 comments:

Marc and Megan said...

I've been thinking of you so much. I'm so happy to hear you're there and getting ready to settle in. I'm the same way with big cities - I love visiting, but my anxiety can only take so much before I crave the rural, quiet solitude of a small town. Definitely easier to not be in a big city than to be good! So true!!

v said...

JessicaP

thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. hope Sidekick Sister enjoys city life, there's always a plethora of things to see an do.

V

JessicaP said...

Thanks Meg and V! All prayers are much appreciated as are your thoughtful and kind comments (: