Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Rambling

A year ago this Saturday I ran a marathon. Me, this big lady sitting on a couch eating all the chocolate she can manage. It's amazing what a year can do. Back then I was thin and strong and able to run sub-eight minute miles for a few hours without stopping. I look at pictures of me post-race - exhausted but smiling, leg muscles bulging- and I wonder who that girl was. I'm full of a desperate hope that I'll get to know her again. Also a year ago I was living in a different state, my husband was living in a different country, my oldest wouldn't go to sleep at night, my youngest couldn't walk. How can life seem so routine on a day to day basis when change is surging so strongly under the surface? I just wake up, give the kids breakfast, put them all in car seats and run errands, watch them play with toys, do my church callings, make meals, put them down to bed at night, and try to say hello to my husband for an hour or so before we both fall asleep on the couch trying to get done whatever it is that needs getting done. And through all that mundaneness the flower of our life blooms, fades, and reblooms on another stalk. It's really pretty astounding. Life is a fascinating thing. Geez my pregnancy brain is a rambler.

No comments: