Monday, June 6, 2011

On Ruth

I've been reading in the Old Testament lately. Not too long back I read about Ruth. Now I've had this feeling with other books of scripture as well, but it has been particularly keen with the Old Testment and very acute with the book of Ruth - where, when I come to the end, I feel like turning the book over, holding it by the binding, and shaking it until the rest comes out.
What was the relationship between Ruth and her husband before he died? Good? Bad? Ugly? How did she feel about her family back in Moab? Was there some sort of strain there where she wouldn't even want to go back? Did she feel bad for Naomi or did she really love her and didn't want to leave her? Was she afriad or doubtful of what Naomi asked her to do with regards to Jesse? Did she ever doubt herself? Did she feel at home in her own skin in this different land and culture? What did she like to think about when she picked up the left over grain - how did she get through the boredom? Was she scared? Was she confident? She intrigues me.
I think what especially has me caught in Ruth's snare right now, is that she was obviously a gal capable of enormous change. And from what I know of change it can be extremely, horrendously, tediously, painfully difficult. So I want her to tell me, in a completely frank and honest conversation, what got her through, why she did it, what her tips are for making it happen. I'm not looking for any radical change necessarily to my life, but I do think that the possibility of change is what gives a human hope. So Ruth, if you could give me some straight-from-the-Moabitess-come-Israelite's mouth type of advice on how to keep flexible in this trait, I think that would be nice. Maybe if I shake my Bible just a little bit harder...

No comments: