I am no poetry expert, I'm hardly a poetry novice, but I do have a favorite poem. It is this one by William Butler Yeats:
THE LAKE ISLE OF INNISFREE
I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.
And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.
I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.
1892
The part about living alone totally worked for me when I was single - but in order for the poem to speak to my deep heart's core now it would have to say something like, "and live all six in the kid-loud glade" instead of "and live alone in the bee-loud glade." But other than that I think this perfectly expresses my vision of peace - just thought I'd share.
No comments:
Post a Comment