Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Thanks Elder Holland

I think I remember first hearing this talk (ok I'm still no good at this blogging thing - so this link will take you to the Mormon Messages page where you then have to click on page 2 and then find the video that says "Good Things to Come" - sheesh) by Elder Holland when I was in college. I don't remember much about it other than that it made an impact. I probably thought what I thought on Sunday night when I listened to it again, that it was something I needed to hear. And if I went back to my college self with all my college self worries and concerns I would definitely want to say, "don't you quit, you keep walking, you keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead." So I like to imagine myself in thirty years sitting on my back porch watching my grandkids laughing in the backyard while thinking of the young-Mom me struggling to figure out what each of my kids needs, how to best help them be happy, how to not mess them up for life, and wanting to say to the young-Mom me, the right-now me, "don't you quit, you keep walking, you keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead." Imagining that really helps to keep me from dying in an ocean of parental self-doubt and worry when I look at my kids that I want so very, very, very, very badly to find peace and happiness in their lives. So thanks Elder Holland for reminding me how to keep my optimism alive - a girl needs that sort of whack over the head sometimes.

3 comments:

gretchen said...

So you're saying I'm not the only mom that worries about messing her kids up for life? I honestly think about which of my traits they'll resent the most when they're older. It's enough to drive a mother crazy with feelings of inadequacy. I like the mantra to keep walking, keep trying. Our kids probably won't understand the depth of love and concern for their happiness until they have kids of their own. p.s. I know you are a fantastic mom and my kids would think your kids are extremely lucky to have you for a mom.

JessicaP said...

Gretchen's right Mom - now I know how much you love me, and get driven nuts by me (: And just so you know - you and Dad did a really good job because I'm happy and at least percieve myself to be not messed up (:

Irene said...

And we do love all of you that much. We consider ourselves blessed that we have 4 happy not messed up kids.