Today I did what I have been impatiently waiting almost a year to do. I went...dun-da-dunnnn...RUNNING. Oh joy. Oh glory. Oh beauty be. Before I went I wondered if it would be like it used to be with running and I. It was complete and utter love when we last enjoyed each other's company. The thought of restarting my running habit was kind of like going to meet an old friend and being afraid we might not have anything to say to each other. But from the first step, it was like running and I had never been parted by an awkward nine month silence.
It's not that everything was the same, there was a whole lot more wiggle and jiggle to me than there was when I last ran seriously, but the movement of my arms and legs, the sweating in the sunshine, the bluebird that I saw in on a barb-wire fence, the music playing on my ipod, the struggle against my own fatigue, the pleasure of feeling healthy and alive and a part of a big, beautiful creation - that was the same and I really, really, really liked it. It made me grin. It made me feel giddy. It made me write an annoyingly exuberant post about exercising. Yep, it was good.
3 comments:
Hang on... remind me again when your baby was born??!! You are crazy! And, you're amazing!! I honestly could not figure out how to run for the first few months after Hugh was born - the awkward dilemmas that come with breastfeeding that don't go so well with running out in public. BUT, I've been running consistently for two months now and feel your same exuberance and wish so badly I could have you as a running partner! The thought did occur to me that we should do a marathon together... maybe next year?! Anyway, good for you for getting out there already! It really shouldn't surprise me one bit. :)
It is good to find joy in exercise. Dare I say don't overdo?
Inspired by you and others I've tried for a few months (not weeks) to consistently run. I'm still waiting for any form of exuberance. It feels like daggers being stabbed into my chest the entire time....and its not getting better. Why is that? Perhaps I just have a deep-rooted hatred of the sport? Give me a bike and I completely relate with your love...but why when its my own two feet is it so darned miserable? And yet I still meet my running buddy multiple times each week and force myself to hopefully come to terms with the sport. sigh.... :)
Post a Comment