Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Promising

My next door neighbor invited me to her Tuesday night bible study group.  Right now they are studying James.  I've been wanting to go, but so far Spouse-the-Well-and-Thoroughly-Scheduled has not yet been home on a Tuesday night to throw steak to the lions while I am away.

But the good thing is I have gotten a chance to read through James a few times, because when I do get to go to the bible study I don't want to look like a dolt because that would be lame.  And I have found in my de-dumbing that I love James.  I love the absolute, simple clarity of his writing - he basically just said, "Be smart, don't be a dumb.  Be nice, don't be mean.  Have faith, but get to work."  I can dig that kind of jive.

My favorite part though is the beginning, the part that leads up to James 1:5, that scripture that tipped my family line into Utah and back out as this distinct thing often called a Mormon.  So 1:2-4 goes like this, "My brethern, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations (JST many afflictions).  Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.  But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing."

I have tumbled through my whys? and how-comes?, my that-doesn't-make-senses and my how-could-that-bes?  For cylces of time I have rotated doubting questions looking for answers on bottoms and sides or any old places.  And through the bouncing and bumping and banging and thumping, the one thing I could ever really find to hold onto was that I believe.  I have realized there is no stepping through, over, around, or under it.  I believe.

I like to have hope that James is right, that if I just keep a patient grip on my sometimes jaunty ride, someday I will be entire, wanting nothing.  That sounds promising.

No comments: