I think there is a mouse in my piano. Something just plucked a string and then it scurried.
Anybody wanna take care of it for me?
How 'bout Spouse-whose-manliness-should-nominate-him-for-the-job? Oh that's right, he's thousands of miles away.
I'm going to pretend it didn't happen and let the mouse find its way out.
But what if it eats my piano all to ABD's? Truly the piano is nothing without its C's.
Oh gosh, I'm going to have to do it.
Oh rats, my piano creaked again.
Wish me luck.
Gross.
***
OK, well, no mouse. But I did find a DVD of The Princess Bride sitting in the innards of the piano. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have scurried or plucked though. I'm also sure it's been pounded to pieces by Baby Girl who laughs like a lunatic when she slams her hands into the keyboard. It's the kind of moment that defines cacophony.
***
When Spouse-My-Once-in-Person-But-Now-My-Telephone-and-Email-and-very-occasionally-Skype-Buddy is gone from our home I get a little imaginative, especially when the lights go out. I've had difficulties with morbid nighttime thoughts since I can remember. It used to be ghosts and aliens and tornadoes, now it is someone trying to sneak up on me or trying to sneak by me and steal my kids. Mostly I dread seeing the face of somebody I don't know in my house. Because I wonder if I'd have the guts to stand up to him or if I'd be paralyzed in fear. I always yelled at bears the summer I was in Alaska though. So I kind of think I would yell at a scary stranger with a true-from-the-gut kind of anger. That makes me feel a little bit better. My true-from-the-gut anger really is pretty darn scary.
***
There goes a really big beetle across the floor. Could it have been him?
I'm going to guess it was him. I feel better about that too.
Maybe I have things under control after all.
1 comment:
JessicaP, how I admire your fortitude. How do you do it?
Post a Comment