So a couple of days ago when I got my BYU (go cougars) alum magazine in the mail. I tore right into it. On the cover were the Pickles comic characters. Have you ever read that one? Soooooooo funny. So very funny. I remembered hearing, when the comic first stormed the last page of the Rocky Mountain News, that a Mormon wrote it. Supposedly the creator left secret signs only the initiated would recognize - things like CTR rings, pictures of the temple, and capital Y's on t-shirts. I never saw any of that, but with the guy being the lead article in BYU magazine the other day, well, mystery solved.
My favorite strip that the magazine included went something like this:
Grandpa: Oh heck!
Grandson: What is heck?
Grandpa: It's the place you go when you don't obey Gosh.
Excuse me for a second - giggle, giggle, giggle, giggle. Oh goodnes, giggle, giggle, giggle. Whew, thanks. It tickles me from my insides to my outsides and right back in again.
So knowing this guy is Mormon and successful and funny has totally beefed up my Mormon pride. Go Mormons! Hey look we're cool! People read us in newspapers all over the country. We had a quarterback who played for the 49ers. We have two - count 'em, two presidential candidates.
Humans and our group psychology - we're so weird.
No comments:
Post a Comment