Tonight I dropped #3 off at his gymnastics class just as evening was tipping into night. We rode bikes down to the gym because we're close to the gym and I'm in love with riding my bike. #5 and #6 followed behind me in the bike trailer, being sure to let me know if I hit any jarring holes in the road as we went. Once we got #3 in with his class, happily touching his toes, I bribed #5 with a trip to the library so I could keep riding my bike in the perfect, smooth, this-is-a-book type of nightfall. The air was still with occasional, joyful yelps and woo-hoos coming like maybe it was kids from fifty years ago playing somewhere in the neighborhoods we passed. Cars moved mostly down other streets, red-tail lights glowing dim out of my reach. I wanted to ride and ride and ride down the cement road savoring the calm that felt like it was today's and yesterday's and I think maybe even tomorrow's.
It was bike riding zen, man - a chase after that peace which surpasseth all understanding. And, boy, did I like it.
***on another note: #4 was Star Student of the Month. She was awarded a certificate today and had a blue ribbon pinned to her BYU shirt. I think her life was made. Aint nothing bringing her down after this.
***and again: #1 got a touchdown pass at recess - his first one - a definite "let me just be the fly on the playground" moment for me.
***oh yes: #3 rocked his parent/teacher conference today. (His teacher had me read her comments out-loud and I almost had to stop to keep the tears from coming. She's loving my little boy and that is such a relief).
*** hmmmm: #6 has developed his scream. I think this stage lasts just a few weeks...right?
*** of course: I'm not going to leave out #2. She wore a pony-tail to school today and looked so pretty and grown-up and confident and freckled that I had to love her.
*** and so: #5. It is so nice to have my buddy for the year. I miss my kids while they are at school and I miss the closeness of homeschool, but I love that I get to have my buddy for the year with his rag-tag crazy blond mop on top of his head.
1 comment:
I just happened to look at your blog---supposing it was useless and April would still be the latest post but surprise there you are--3 days super terrific.
You are an amazing writer Jess! I so enjoy reading abt all the kids---love you!
Post a Comment